Last week I posted about my new writing course and how the professor is using to music to inspire our writing. This class has led me to realize just how much music has influenced my life and my writing. So I’ve decided to share my lists of songs that have inspired both my life and my writing with all of you. Since this list is kind of long, I’m going to split it up into 2 or 3 parts. These lists will be a combination of songs that have inspired me in everyday life and songs that have inspired specific pieces I’ve written or intend on writing in the near future. So here is part one of my list!
- Find You by Zedd Feat. Matthew Koma & Miriam Bryant- This song always puts me in a good mood and helps me find a calm and clear place in my mind. There is just something about this song that touches my soul and inspires me not only with my writing, but with my life as well. I can’t put into exact words just how much this song inspires me.
- Deathclub by William Control- This song inspired a short story I wrote for a class a couple years back. The story definitely needs work and I want to expand it into a longer story, maybe even a novel. This song helped me visualize the setting, the characters, the plot, everything and I can’t wait to see where this story goes once I pick it up again.
- Heads Will Roll by Yeah Yeah Yeahs- This song helped me clearly visualize a scene for my novel (but I won’t tell you what scene so I don’t give away any spoilers)! I wasn’t even thinking about this scene while I was working on my novel and then this song came on and it smacked me in the face, making me realize the scene this song inspired was definitely needed.
- I Let Go by 18 Visions- This song has inspired me since my teen years to keep going no matter how bad things get. If I’m having a bad day this song makes me feel better and inspires me to keep pushing forward.
- Invincible The Wanted- Everytime I listen to this song I truly feel invincible and like I am an unstoppable force. This song inspires me to feel like anything and everything is possible and when I listen to this song, I truly feel that way.
- Perfect Muse by Aiden- This song inspired a play I wrote for a Dramatic Writing class about 3 or so years ago. I won’t give away anything about the play except that it’s dark and this song playing in the background as I wrote it really helped me form the play into what it turned into. I plan on working on the play again soon, making it even darker and pushing it farther.
- Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me by U2-I’ve loved this song since I was a kid because it’s the song that plays at the end of Batman Forever and I loved that movie as a kid (and admittedly I still do as an adult). But now as an adult there is just something about the lyrics and beat of this song that puts me in an inspiring place. I wish I could come up with something even half as brilliant as this song!
- Everything is Alright by Motion City Soundtrack- This is another song that has kept me going since my teen years. Whenever I’m really upset and I play this song, it instantly makes me feel better and inspires me to keep going. Plus this video is kind of hilarious and I really enjoy it.
- F-F-F-Falling by The Rasmus- This is another song that keeps me going whenever things aren’t going well for me. This song inspires me to keep going and to also feel confident in any choices I make in life because it’s my life and no one is living it but me.
- Full Moon by The Black Ghosts- This song always puts me in a deep and thoughtful place, which really helps me get into the flow when I’m writing. I feel like one day this song will inspire a scene in one of my novels, but that hasn’t happened yet!
So this is the first part of my list. I will post the second part sometime next week with another 10 songs. Hopefully all of you and enjoyed this list. Let me know if you agree with any of the songs on my list or if you’ve listened to any of them and your reaction!